Sunday, August 05, 2007

Brunei and OCS

Hey 2 weeks of scholars exchange between the 2 smallest countries in ASEAN.

Went over to Brunei for a week of Outward Bound Brunei Darussalam. It was all fun and laughter. To my pleasant surprise, Brunei is not as rigid as I thought. In fact the younger generations are more modern than most of the singaporeans!

Haha and their standard of command of english puts me to shame, some of them even had their A level education in Scotland! But soon they showed their true blue Bruneian slang and lingo which are pretty similar to Ours! =)

One week of leadership development workshop in OCS. It was refreshing to revisit OCS, the Spiritual Home of the Officers Corp. Reminding myself when am I in the force and why did I commit to this career 2 years back. Sometimes all the work made us so jaded that we often forgot about our main purpose in the organisation, hence lost our way, passion and meaning in the unique world of SAF.

Yup. I would strongly recommend all my officer friends such as CPT Joe, Jieren, Bong and many others who were once discouraged along the way of work to return to our cradle. The cradle which bores all of us, transforming us from Cadets into Officers. The place where we developed our initial pride and honor as a military personnel.

Also realised a new meaning to leadership. Emphasize more on the reflection. The process and destination are still important, but nothing will be reaped if no reflection is done. And often if the time is limiting, you would rather shorten the process but spend more time on reflections.

Finally, thank you my bruneian friends! Will see you again when I go to UK. It was nice to hear from you all and see my own country from a different light. And of cos thank you for the Malay name you have given me.

Thank you to the SAF cadets. Your burning passion rekindle the diminishing fire in me. Despite being older and more experienced, I have also learnt a lot from you guys when I stood down to see things at your level. Hope that you have learnt something from me too.

For pictures... refer to facebook! haha